In a move to prevent the introduction of SARS-CoV2-variants, the German Government has imposed a general ban on travel and entry from countries with widespread occurrence of such virus variants (referred to as areas of variant of concern). This includes Botswana.
The ban is limited until 12.05.2021 and may be extended depending on the development of the pandemic.
Transport companies, e.g. air carriers and railway companies, may not transport any persons from these countries to Germany and entry for such travellers into Germany is not allowed under Art. 14 (1) / Art. 6 (1) lit e of the Schengen Borders Code.
There are only a few, strictly defined exceptions to this travel ban:
- German citizens
- Members of the core family of Germans who travel jointly with them. The core family comprises spouses, legal partners, minor children and parents of minor children
- Citizens of the EU-countries and Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Iceland who have their permanent residence in Germany
- Third country nationals with permanent residence and lawful residence in Germany
- Transit passengers (in international transit only, not within the Schengen Area)
- Transport personnel
- Health Workers
- Persons traveling on urgent humanitarian reasons (e.g. for German citizens and people with residency in Germany).
- Persons traveling in official mission for the International Atomic Energy Organization or the United Nations or other UN-organizations.
Please find more details on the Website of the German Federal Foreign Office, concerning the following Topics:
Travel ban, general entry restrictions, test requirements, digital entry registration, quarantine regulations
Answers to frequently asked questions regarding the Corona-Virus situation in Germany can be found here.
Applications for long-term visa
If you are planning a long term stay in Germany (such as for work or family reunification) you can find more information here.
Quarantine in Germany - still mandatory
When entering Germany you are subject to quarantine regulations. Check carefully whether the duration and circumstances of the quarantine make it possible to achieve your purpose and duration of the trip, justifying the current trip.
Further Information regarding current quarantine regulations can be found on the Website of the Federal Foreign Office.